Sunday, August 29, 2004

Goodbye Geekhood, Hello Policy Wonk

I can't quite believe it, but the panel of grand old men gave me the thumbs up.

So I guess this might be it - the end of geekhood. Feel a sense of loss actually that I probably will never write another program, or come up with another algorithm ever again. Time to become a policy wonk, to start using English, instead of Java, to think of people, instead of mathematical structures.

And then there's the issue of aptitude. Do I really have what it takes to do this kind of work, or am I just a great pretender, schmoozing my way around the old men? What about office politics? How am I going to cope with that? At the end of the day, I think I'm just an average guy who liked what he studied in school, and spent a lot of time at it. No spectacular CV, no outstanding leadership, man, I didn't even make it to OCS. Maybe I'll hate policy work and yearn to go back to some good ol' programming once more.

I guess some how I must ingratiated myself with the old folks. Man those chinese prostitutes could sure learn a thing or two from me about winning old men over.

And maybe I should learn a couple of things about being politically correct while I'm at it.

6 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude it's me -- www.stupidchicken.com/yjblog -- i don't actually want to comment with my blogger account because it's empty. anyway congrats again dude! looking forward to my own harrowing experience of alert red recall then range then AHM then commission interview (all in the same 7-day span) :P

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Y said...

Actually I think civil service and geekdom not mutually exclusive. All quite nerdy.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger qdc said...

Nerdiness and geekiness is just not the same. Nerds talk about Hegel or the demand curve; geeks log on to slashdot and pop into lecture halls to pronounce that "Kleinberg is rebel king!"

 
At 10:49 PM, Blogger tucque said...

I think you might have your geek and nerd reversed, c.f.
Nerd and Geek.
Then again, I could be wrong. But Kleinberg IS rebel king!!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger tucque said...

And hello, I read Slashdot can :).

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Y said...

You see! What sort of people would debate over the precise shadings of the words "nerd" and "geek"? I rest my case. You all are just one of a kind lah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home