Nooooo....
Alas, alack, it's been done! Sigh. Once again, more proof that any good idea has probably been thought of, and implemented by someone else.
An interesting extension would of course be to link several gmail accounts together, add on search functionality across the accounts, allow for multiple simultaneous log-ins, and voila, we have a napster reincarnate where all the content is hosted on the high-availability google servers. Entirely scalable under the assumption that google's diskspace scales well too :).
The cartography applet's also quite cool.
And how can you not love a marriage between google and amazon? Definitely has potential.
Also just discovered Wikalong, which is quite similar in concept to the now defunct Third Voice. I personally think the idea's quite cool though, raising the levels of interactivity on websites to a different level, but the concerns about intrusiveness and irrelevance still remain. Interstingly, Third Voice was a company started up by Singaporeans(!). I wonder what they are up to now.
While I'm on a geek rampage, just thought I'd link to a recently graduated PhD student from Stanford. Great links on that page, including a reading list and paper summaries! And another link to an interesting write-up on CS grad school.
Some how, the grass is always greener on the other side.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home