Discovering Singapore
Had dinner with a few friends yesterday at this place with good mutabak near Sultan Mosque, and discovered subsequently that the hip and happening place called Mohammad Sultan is NOT near the Sultan Mosque. Entirely unobvious, and not unexpectedly I wasn't the only one among us who was fooled. Aiyoh but sibei suaku nevertheless.
Well that led us on a rather pleasant drive around to the more happening places in the country. We headed off first to Mohammad Sultan, where I discovered that I had actually been there before, though in the day, to eat at the famous bak kuk teh place. Should check out the more happening places sometime though.
Next stop was Zouk. Believe it or not but I've actually never stepped into Zouk. Heck I've never even seen the exterior of Zouk till yesterday. That pretty much shows you the extent of my happeningness. I have been clubbing a couple of times though in my secondary school / jc days, though that was at the now defunct Venom and Sparks. Incredibly out of touch, yes I am, though I really wonder how I would take to chionging now. Not that I've been a chiongster in the first place.
Well nevertheless it was eye-opening to see all these places first-hand, after hearing so much about them being talked about in camp. Zouk, Madam Wong's.. before yesterday, they were mere names. The entire Robertson Quay area looks extremely interesting at night too. Will check it out on foot some day.
We ended up at this nice gelato place at Guthrie House at Sixth Ave, after driving about rather aimlessly, and after going into, parking for 5 minutes and driving out of Great World City. The wonderfully decisive people we are. Caught Cedric Foo buying gelato too (ooh we civil service geeks gawking at politicians and senior civil servants yet again), while a friend recounted how Lee Hsien Yang and his family were in the seats in front of him on the plane back from Hong Kong. Economy class too, no less!
As we drove off back home, I wondered aloud about how people get to these places without a car. I guess there are buses but it's rather faraway from any train station. I guess life really does get more interesting with a car.

2 Comments:
Haven't seen the inside or outside of Zouk either manz. Ha ha ha.
Boss! MSR and Sultan Mosque in Beach Road are like pretty far apart! Well same city area i suppose... Robertson Quay is where the Singapore Repertory Theatre is, so if you watch plays you might know it.
OK, my guess is, was this in YJ's car? But I'm sure YJ knows where MSR is... Anyways, I've only ever chionged at Zouk (grand total less than 5 times), and never at any other place in Singapore. Oh, but we've been to Emerald Hill area yeah? What was that place called? Rouge wasn't it?
Post a Comment
<< Home