A Computer Scientist Among Economists
So the first week of work passed rather smoothly. I was thrown right into the thick of things, rapidly reading up on the background material and even helping to write part of a paper that my team is working on.
My job is quite interesting. It has the potential to really make a difference to the lives of Singaporeans. Well much more than a tech job would have in any case. But I guess, it's my absolute lack of background that makes me extremely uncomfortable. I'm not confident of my reasoning process, and neither do I have any intuitive feel for the matters I'm dealing with. I don't even know what I don't know.
But perhaps it is the first week at work, so all this is rather expected. However, it is rather sad though, that 4 years of training in computer science, 4 years of learning how to think like a computer scientist, how to have an intuition like a computer scientist, is going to waste. I mean, whatever they say about training of the mind - yes it is training, but whether it transcends so freely across different fields, I have my doubts.
And I guess I will wonder if yet again, I have turned my back on something which I had a passion for, and was pretty proficient in, for something that I know nothing about, something which is a more socially well-defined route to success. I guess life will have a way of telling me that I have made a mistake some how.

6 Comments:
CYSI. yo da niggah. CS geeks p0wnZ silly ecs.
Boss, juz show them P=NP. And watch their jaws drop. P0wn3d!
Mais, quel est le but vrai de votre travail? Est-ce que vous êtes disposé à mourir, maintenant? Pensez aux bébés, les bébés innocents...
Eh you got no more time to blog issit...
我很喜欢读你的BLOG。 为什么最近没有写了?工作怎么样呢?
is the computer scientist dead? how cum no more posts??? i 1 2 complain 2 de gahmen. i pay gst ok, betta gimme new post.
Leong Tuck Yew so many calls for encore you still don't want to shang lian??
Post a Comment
<< Home